School Logo

Welcome to Castle Camps (VC) Church of England Primary School

Life in all its fullness

Google Translate

Our History

School History

Various early Ely Diocesan records note that there was schooling of a sort in Castle Camps from early times. An unlicensed schoolmaster was recorded in 1579, and 30 children were being taught in 1728. Sunday School was perhaps the first formal schooling given to children in the parish and is recorded in 1807 expanding to 70 pupils by 1818. Benjamin Keene of Westoe and his wife Mary were staunch supporters of education - and in 1818-1836 their paying school had about 26 girl students. The rector in 1818 (Wilfrid Clarke) also had a girls school which was taking paying pupils in 1833. Yet another school, this one for boys also had 28 pupils in 1833. John Ives of Camps Green appears to have been one of the school masters from at least 1826 to 1834.


By 1846 there were two day schools, one each for girls and boys, supported by subscriptions and school pence. John Overhill of Camps Green was a schoolmaster in 1847, possibly the master with 38 pupils and a grant of £25 from the National Society. The schoolmistress taught about 21 pupils. It seems likely that these children were taught in the Sunday School building behind the church.


The rector took responsibility for financing the school and was still paying in 1858. Then in 1863 William Collier (1792) gave £50 for the day school, and two years later it was re-organised as a Church of England mixed school, receiving building grants and gifts from Charterhouse, and enabling a new purpose built school house to be built and opened in 1866.


During WW2, the received evacuees from London. Evidence of this can be found in our log books from the period. 


RAF Castle Camps

RAF Castle Camps opened in June 1940 as a satellite station of Debden, it was used by a number of RAF Squadrons during the Second World War including No 85 Squadron during the Battle of Britain. In July 1943, the airfield was re-designated a satellite station of RAF North Weald. The airfield closed in January 1946 and the site was reverted to agricultural use.

Photographic History